The region around Tuzla is one of the most promising areas for geothermal power production in Turkey. Several geothermal research wells were drilled by MTA during the 70’s to 90’s confirming very high temperatures and artesian flow rates.
The highest geothermal gradient was discovered in a 130 m well producing fluid at more than 160°C. Transmark Turkey's licenses are located near the explored fields and are expected to have similar geological conditions.
Our Turkey Operations
Transmark Renewables considers Turkey a key market due to the following key characteristics:
- Renewable electricity production is mainly promoted through a guaranteed feed-in tariff. Opportunities for sustainable forms of energy production – hydro, wind, solar, geothermal and others – are abundant in Turkey. Encouraging policies backed by favourable feed-in tariffs are expected to increase their share in the national grid in the coming years.
Strong geological potential
- Turkey is located on the ring of fire with an estimated geothermal resource potential over 4,000 MWe
- With an installed 30 MW of capacity in 2008, Turkey has as of today around 1,174 MW of installed capacity
Attractive market fundamentals
- With a population of approximately 80 million people and a GDP growth of 6.5%, Turkey is a large and growing economy
- Due to these developments and the Kyoto standards, the electricity market requires a strong increase of renewable energy capacity